Saturday, March 11, 2023

Overcoming your shyness

I cured myself of shyness when it finally occurred to me that people didn’t think about me half as much as I gave them credit for. The truth was, nobody gave a damn… When I stopped being a prisoner to what I worried was others’ opinions of me, I became more confident and free. Lucille Ball.

Shyness can be a difficult thing to overcome, but there are some strategies that may be helpful in managing and reducing it. Here are a few suggestions:

Practice self-affirmation. Remind yourself that it’s okay to be shy, and that everyone has their own strengths and weaknesses.

Take small steps. Start by talking to people you feel comfortable with, and gradually work your way up to speaking to new people or in larger groups.

Prepare what you want to say. If you’re nervous about speaking up in a group or meeting new people, it's helpful to think about what you want to say beforehand. This can help you feel more confident and less likely to get tongue-tied.

Focus on the other person. Try to engage with the person you’re speaking to, rather than getting caught up in your own thoughts and feelings. This can help you feel more connected and less self-conscious.

Seek supportive environments. Surround yourself with people who are understanding and supportive. This can make it easier for you to open up and be yourself.

Seek professional help. If your shyness is causing significant distress or impacting your daily life, consider seeking the help of a mental health professional. They can work with you to develop strategies for managing your shyness and building confidence.

No comments:

Post a Comment