Sunday, August 8, 2010

Think about the Food bank

"I believe that if you show people the problems and you show them the solutions they will be moved to act."

Bill Gates

Think about it and I know you’ll agree that Bill’s statement is true. Charities have used tv and film to make sure that we know the problems. They also show us how we can make the lives of the people who need help better. It may not be just money either. For example, charities donations can be tinned foods or warm clothes for bitterly cold nights, or spectacles to help people see. You can even make a charity car donation to be used or sold by the charity. Things we don’t have a use for any more but are still too good to throw away. This way we can make a difference easily and feel that we are helping in a way that doesn’t mean we have to give money.

If you like to give money, do you give charity donations regularly or just when you see a disaster has happened on the news? If you donate money to charity regularly, I expect you have already decided on the area that is most important to you, such as Cancer or Food Bank. I also expect you have discovered the tax benefits too. The tax that you have already paid on charities donations can be reclaimed by the charity
If, like me, you  have a ‘favourite’ charity, it is a good idea to plan your budget for the year and then decide how to help. Charities like the SHARE Family Services. are known in their communites and I think it that it is better to help with charity donations closer to home. Sometimes the best and most satisfying things to do is be involved with fund raising at a local level. When I had a young family we gave money to Foster Parents and as well we communicated with our Foster child the festival was over the food would go to a local charity for the homeless.

Now the children have grown up and we have moved to a different part of greater Vancouver.  That doesn’t mean I have stopped helping. It just means that I do it differently. In recent years I have chosen two areas to support. One is cancer research as it affects my family. The other is being on the Board of Directors of SHARE Family Services. In this way I get the satisfaction of believing my financial help to the charities donations makes a better future.

No comments:

Post a Comment