Monday, April 4, 2011

Lessons from new life

As I watched my grandson over the last six weeks I was intrigued by the process of how he learned tosit up by himself. As he approached the age where this is part of the normal developmental stage all children go through, I watched as he practiced trying. He did more crunches then I ever could do. Every day he would try harder and longer to get the sitting up by himself correctly. The following is taken from Developmental Milestones

Sitting independently gives your baby a new perspective on the world. Once his back and neck muscles are strong enough to hold him upright and he's figured out where to put his legs so he won't topple over, it's just a matter of time until he moves on to crawling, standing, and walking.

When it develops

About 90 percent of babies can sit well for several minutes without support by the time they're 8 months old. (Even babies who've mastered sitting will topple over eventually, often because they lose interest in being upright.)

How it develops

While you can prop your baby in a sitting position almost from day one, true independent sitting doesn't begin until he has head control. Starting at about 4 months, your baby's neck and head muscles strengthen rapidly, and he'll learn to raise and hold his head up while he's lying on his stomach.

How your baby gets ready to achieve his first big developmental milestone.
Next he'll figure out how to prop himself up on his arms and hold his chest off the ground, sort of a mini-push up. By 5 months he may be able to sit momentarily without assistance, though you should stay nearby to provide support and surround him with pillows to cushion a possible fall.

The above makes the process sound easy, but it is not, and as I watched my grandson, I realized that this small task requires determination, a willingness to fail, the support of others and a belief that one can do this, and desire to take a risk to be successful. I said I am a big believer in the good of humans in an earlier post, but I worry that some of us do not remember that we had courage, determination, a belief in ourselves, a desire to succeed and the willingness to take risks and many of us also had a very strong--but maybe small support group. These were attributes we had when we were young. Some questions:

As adults do you still have these attributes? Do you have the willingness to try something new and fail? Do you have the determination and perseverance to continue to try after you have failed once? Do you have the desire and the need to take risks? Do you have a support group that we can rely on unconditionally?

I suspect that most of us don't have these attributes any more I know that I that I didn't think that I had all of these, but I realized that I do still have them. At one time in our lives I had them all, but I lost some of them as I grew older but perhaps not wiser. When we were learning to sit up, learning to crawl, learning to walk failure was not an option. We just kept trying until we succeeded. I  have talked about the universe and many believe in this power,  however, if the universe is not giving you what you need remember you have the ability within yourself to get what you want, you did when you were a baby and you can again. Just trust yourself to know that you can regain the attributes you had when you were young if you believe in yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment