I highly recommend this to all of you who want to understand where we are moving and how quickly Harper is taking us down this road.
Canada creeps toward becoming a closed society
- What’s more terrifying to a parent than ‘child pornographers’? According to Vic Toews, the regina mom’s opposition to Bill C-30 — the Snoop and Spy bill — means that she stands with “the child pornographers”. How does that make a mother feel?
- Women should be used to it, perhaps. Years ago, the Prime Minister suggested women’s groups are of the “left-wing fringe
- More recently, as trm has noted, on the eve of the Joint Energy Board’s hearings on the Northern Gateway Pipeline, Natural Resources Minister Joe Oliver had choice words to describe those in opposition to the proposed pipeline. He painted “environmental and other radical groups” as those wanting to “block this opportunity to diversify our trade” regardless “the cost to Canadian families in lost jobs and economic growth.” The groups have a “radical ideological agenda” and will “exploit any loophole they can find” to “kill good projects” with “funding from foreign special interest groups to undermine Canada’s national economic interest.”
- What is the purpose of new prisons when Canada’s crime rate is falling? National Chief Sean Atleo understands.
- Canadians can also rot in Guantanamo.
- The RCMP have proven to be thugs and are watched by the public. The taser attack on Robert Dzeikanski is but one instance of their thuggery. [Warning: It is difficult to watch.]
- The Fifth Estate‘s documentary, Out of Control, about the suicide of Ashley Smith when she was improperly incarcerated in a penitentiary and allowed to die. [Warning: It is difficult to watch.]
- The Canadian Race Relations Foundation has found reason to comment on policing in Canada.
- Extreme violence attributed to white supremacist youth. A “dump” by the “hacktivist” group, Anonymous, confirmed that some of the accused are associated with neo-Nazi groups in the USA.
- Since 9/11 Canadians have witnessed an alarming increase in surveillance measures. Are the new airport scanners and procedures are part of the scheme?
- BC’s Civil Liberties Association reports on how we’re moving towards a surveillance society.
- Dennis Greunding has a list of citizens’ groups which have faced funding cuts courtesy the current regime. trm previously mentioned some, specifically those impacting women. Certainly these, when combined with more recent cuts to organizations such as the Mennonite Central Committee, constitute harassment.
- Forest Ethics supports its former employee in his allegations that the PMO is trying to “to silence and intimidate non profit organizations like ForestEthics, and the thousands of citizens and civil groups who, like us, are concerned about the direction this country is taking and are speaking out.“
- The criminalization of dissent came as a creeping assault until the most noteable at the G20 demonstrations last year