Thursday, February 28, 2013

Golfing on January 3rd

I love to golf even though I am not good at it nor will I ever be good at the game. Not because I lack the skills but I only golf roughly once a week starting in March and ending in September and I do not practice. To build a skill one has to work hard at the skill and I am not yet prepared to do this. I find that there are too many other exciting things to do and to experience in life. I do enjoy the walk through the course with my friends and the conversations we have about life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.
One of my goals, when I was in Australia, was to golf on New Year’s Day, I did not get to do that but I did get to golf on January 3rd. The day we went golfing the temperature in town went up to 42 degrees Celsius but since we went at about 6:00 in the afternoon, the temperature had dropped to about 34 degrees. Now I was hoping that I would be able to rent a cart so I could drive the course because of my knee and hip issues.
However, that was not to be as the receptionist explained to us, I get to work at 6:30 am and I leave at 6:30 pm and I cannot leave the carts out. I understood and made a decision to only play nine holes and to walk the course.
I had fun on three holes but by the sixth hole I was using my hand cart as a crutch and the last three holes I was on automatic just swing and hit and endure the pain. For all of the pain, I was able to finish the nine holes with a respectable score for me and so I have bragging rights among my friends for playing golf the earliest in 2013. Now I may not be able to play much golf this year because of upcoming operations so whatever bragging rights I have I will hold on to with tenacity. What some of us men will do to prove we still are young:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment