Friday, December 25, 2015

Christmas what are you thankful for this year?

Xmas Day is a time for celebration with family and friends. Xmas is also a time for Celebration and to give thanks.

I know I have a lot to be thankful for, we are at home, Colleen is recovering and is about 99% of her old self. The other 1% is due to a lack of energy. She still has no recollection of her time at the Alfred and only remembers about one week at the Caulfield.

While in Australia, I had time to rethink old habits and to think about what is important. I realized that over time, attitudes become habitual. Because of this, they can take a bit of effort to change, but such work is well worth your time!

Try these techniques to bring greater happiness and success into your life:
1.    Start each day by making a mental list of things you're thankful for. You can do this while you are lying in bed just before you get up, in the shower, or while driving to work. This simple mental exercise will adjust your focus to the good things that you already have.
2   Love life, not stuff Do you feel that having more possessions will make you happy? What usually happens is that, after you acquire something, it never seems to mean as much to you as you thought it would. After the newness wears off, you are back to wanting some more new stuff!
a.    Therefore, the joy in most new possessions is temporary, at best, and leads to more "wanting." The quality of your life itself is what will bring you the most happiness, not the quantity or quality of your stuff. 
b.   Spend some time each day doing what you love. 
c.    Build meaningful relationships that uplift you.
d.   Take action to create a life filled with what truly means the most to you.
3.   Be patient. Our society has trained us to be in a hurry and expect immediate gratification. However, some of the great things in life take time to bring to fruition.
a.    Enjoy the process of creating the life you desire. Each day will bring you one-step closer. Being impatient tends to push your goals farther away.
4.   Believe in yourself. Life is much more pleasant when you have faith in yourself. Remember: You have already done things that are much more difficult than just about anything you may still wish to accomplish. Therefore, you know you can achieve your plans.
a.    Consider learning to walk. How many times does a baby fall before they finally can stand up unassisted, let alone walk? In addition, we keep learning more over time. Even a 10-year old does not walk as well as a 30-year old. It takes many years of practice.
b.    How many times are you willing to fall down and get back up now? When you believe in yourself and expect success, you are more likely to succeed. Your upbeat attitude will lead you to seek solutions to your challenges until you reach your goal.
5.   Sometimes being smart is sufficient. We often believe that everything worthwhile requires a lot of work. However, many times, approaching challenges by working smart instead of working hard can save a lot of time and grief.
a.    Sit down and reflect on your situation from the perspective that there is a simple solution to each challenge. You might be surprised how clever you can be if you make an effort to find an easy but satisfactory solution.
6.   There is no such thing as failure. Each time your plans fall short, analyze where they went wrong, learn from the experience, and continue moving forward.
a.     When you "fail," all you have really done is discovered an ineffective way of trying to do something. That is all. The knowledge gained only makes you more capable in the future.
b.   Adjusting your attitude and making the changes permanent will take some work, but this effort pays off. Your attitude affects your perspective, what you notice, and what you fail to notice is influenced by your attitude. Therefore, by adjusting your attitude, you can shift your whole reality!
c.    Examine the attitudes you already hold that may be limiting your life and happiness. What perspectives and beliefs would serve you better

Use the above ideas to start the process of adjusting those ineffective attitudes today for a happier tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment