However, societal norms marginalize seniors, treat them with disrespect, make them feel unwelcome and otherwise generalize as if they were all the same.
- Late night comedians and talk show hosts joke about seniors and memory loss;
- Doctors often talk past the senior patient to an adult child as if the senior wasn't even in the room;
- Younger adults mock seniors for being “slow”;
- Commercial advertisements depict seniors as out of date, and lacking knowledge about modern culture and new technologies;
- Certain laws and regulations are paternalistic towards seniors and limit their choices.