Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Do you need a holiday when you are retired?

I think that we do need a vacation no matter what stage of life we are at. Having been retired for  over 9 years, I still look forward to the idea of a vacation. When I was working I had a routine that consisted of Monday to Friday getting up, going to work, and on the weekends, doing chores and activities I no time for during the week. When I retired, I thought every day would be a holiday, but I (like most) am a creature of habit, soon I had activities which I embarked on during the week. Now those were my activities I was not subject to the stress and hassles of the working world, I made myself busy at things I wanted to do. Nevertheless, each of these activities, were/are demanding and I use a vacation to recharge my batteries.

To me a vacation is a break from the routine of daily life; a vacation is time or a period of suspension of work, study, or other activity. Vacations are usually used for rest, recreation, or travel; recess or holiday
However, because I do need to escape my day-to-day life means I have not given up vacationing. Last year were in Australia, the year before the Interior of BC, and every year my friends and I take a one week golf vacation somewhere in our home province. Everyone needs a break from routine, even if the routine is of our own making. So vacations are important to recharge your batteries. When you are retired not only do you get to choose, for the most part, what you do on a daily and weekly basis, you get to choose when you are going to take your vacation. When I was working my vacation was dictated by work schedules, now I can choose to vacation when I want to during the year. Freedom in retirement also means freedom to vacation.

I think the trick in retirement is realizing you no longer vacation to get away from something. Instead you are blessed with the freedom to vacation just to get to something wonderful. Rather than escape you now vacation to add to your list of memorable experiences. Stay as long as you want. Do as much or as little as you choose. And if you like what you have found you can do it again. Could it get any better?

No comments:

Post a Comment