In order to keep providing food hampers to those in need in our community, Food Banks around the country will be hosting summer campaigns to fill their shelves. Many have goals that need to be filled to help your neigbours this summer. In my area our Food Bank has a campaign to help them raise 10,000 pounds of food and $10,000 to fill their shelves so they can continue to deliver hampers to the almost 400 individuals and families who look to SHARE to help each week!
Many Food Banks across Canada and the US will be having similar campaigns, as the need is just as great in the summer as it is at Xmas.
“Most people think about donating to the Food Bank during the Christmas holiday season, but the Food Bank is a year-round operation. Come summer, our reserve of food starts to shrink and it is only through the wonderful generosity of the local community that we are able to restock the shelves and continue to provide food hampers up until the traditional giving season again.” says Director of Fund Development Valerie Hutton.
There are many ways to participate in your local Food Bank Campaign, start by doing a google search for Food Banks in your local community and contacting them.
Here are some of the ways to participate and support SHARE’s Remember the Food Bank Campaign:
- Visit www.sharesociety.ca and donate on line
- Call Shawna at 604.529.5105 and make a donation over the phone
- Donate food directly to SHARE’s Food Bank at 2615 Clarke Street in Port Moody (at the back of the building)
- Drop your food donation off at any local grocery store in the Tri-Cities
- Host a food drive or fundraiser.
- Visit http://sharesociety.ca/host-a-fundraiser/ to get the details and see how easy it is
- To find out what the most urgent food items needed are please click HERE.
- Watch for more exciting news about Remember the Food Bank Campaign in the next few weeks!
- Plans include a 2-day food drive at multiple local grocery stores and a community open house at our Food Bank.