Tuesday, September 6, 2016
Severe Weather Facts for BC
· What is the record size of a hailstone?
o 20 cm in diameter
· How fast does lightning travel?
o Up to 40,000 km per second
· What is the hottest temperature on record in BC?
o 44.4⁰ C in Lillooet, Lytton and Chinook Cove in 1941
· What is the coldest temperature ever recorded in BC?
o Minus 58.9⁰ C in Smith River, 1947
· How much snow was there in 1971-72 in Revelstoke?
o 2446.5 cm (= 81.55 feet) – the Canadian record
· What was the most amount of rain recorded in 24 hours in BC?
o 49 cm (19 inches) at Ucluelet in 1967
· What is the major cause of forest fires in BC?
o Human activity 48%; lightning 52%