Tuesday, December 5, 2017

Counting Up Not Down

I have to give credit for the idea of the retirement counter to Crabapple Landing which is the name of a blog that I read. In the blog, the blogger talks about the idea of counting down and says she had set up a timer to count down the time to her retirement. I suspect many have done that and as we moved closer to the end time probably slows down.

After she retired, she came up with the idea to keep track of how long her retirement lasts and I thought what a great and positive idea. Boomers are reinventing retirement, stages 1 through 3, so I decided to add my own counter. 

So, on the first counter, I have the number of days since I officially retired, and the second counter lists the days since I actually retired.  For those who read my blog, you know that I went back to work almost the next day and stayed working part time and full time for just over 7 years before I actually stopped working for pay. I, of course, still work at what I enjoy but I no longer being paid for my time. 

My career in Education lasted 40 years and I hope to spend at least that many years being retired, but I know I won't. My retirement age was 63 so if I make it to the age of 85 I will have been retired for 22 years, not the 40 that I worked. To be retired for 40 years I would have to live until I was 103 and that is not going to happen.

I don't know if I have good genes as my Dad died when he was in his early 50's and my mom died in her early 60's. However, I have cousins and aunts who lived until they were in their late 80's, so I  am hopeful that I will make it for at least a few more years.


I do love the idea of counting up, to keep track of when you started this wonderful adventure called retirement. If you want to start your own count-up or count-down, here is the site I am using Ticket Counter. It is at  https://www.tickcounter.com/ 

No comments:

Post a Comment