Thursday, December 27, 2018

Planning a New Year's Resolution?

We are on our way to a brand new year, lookout 2019 here we come. A few years ago a Palliative Care Nurse, Bonnie Ware,  wrote a book "The top regrets of the Dying

As you plan ahead, try to not have any of the regrets listed here. I know I will have regrets, but my hope is that I will learn from what Ms. Ware tells us and that my regrets will be different.  Here are the top five regrets of the dying as published in The Guardian on Feb 1, 2012, written by Susie Steiner

1. I wish I'd had the courage to live a life true to myself, not the life others expected of me.
"This was the most common regret of all. When people realise that their life is almost over and look back clearly on it, it is easy to see how many dreams have gone unfulfilled. Health brings a freedom very few realize, until they no longer have it."

2. I wish I hadn't worked so hard.
"This came from every male patient that I nursed. They missed their children's youth and their partner's companionship. Women also spoke of this regret, All of the men I nursed deeply regretted spending so much of their lives on the treadmill of a work existence."

3. I wish I'd had the courage to express my feelings.
"Many people suppressed their feelings in order to keep peace with others. As a result, they settled for a mediocre existence and never became who they were truly capable of becoming."

4. I wish I had stayed in touch with my friends.
"Often they would not truly realize the full benefits of old friends until their dying weeks and it was not always possible to track them down. Many had become so caught up in their own lives that they had let golden friendships slip by over the years. Everyone misses their friends when they are dying."

5. I wish that I had let myself be happier.
"This is a surprisingly common one. Many did not realize until the end that happiness is a choice. The so-called 'comfort' of familiarity overflowed into their emotions, as well as their physical lives. Fear of change had them pretending to others, and to their selves, that they were content, when deep within, they longed to laugh properly and have silliness in their life again."

As you plan your New Year's Resolutions and look back at 2018 and forward to 2019 here is something to ask yourself. What's your greatest regret so far, and what will you set out to achieve or change before you die?

No comments:

Post a Comment