Sunday, October 4, 2020

Procrastination

 Procrastination is an incredibly common problem, and I am using it as an excuse, for not doing an important task that I really don’t want to do. The task will take only about 8 hours and is relatively easy. The excuse I have come up with are pretty good for me, but at the same time I know I have to do what I said and I know that I am putting it off for no good reason. When I started to think about why I did not want to do the task I realized that I was not ready to reach out to others to hear negative news. Let me explain, the task is phoning about 50 people who are older than me to find out how they are doing in this pandemic. The first person I phoned was not there and when I asked the person who answered the phone when she would be back, she said, “I am her daughter, my mom passed away two days ago. I expressed my sympathy and talked to the daughter for a bit. The second person I phoned, his wife answered and said that her husband was in Palliative Care at home and was not expected to last the week. I talked to the wife for a while. I have not made any other phone calls for a while, as I sort out in my head what or how I will deal, if anymore of these types of phone calls happen. The odds are that not many more will be like the first two call.s

 I know I made a commitment and I know that I have been putting it off, but I also know that what I need to do is just (as the Nike commercial said), DO IT!

Now, that I have put down in writing all of the reasons I can’t just do it, I have realised that they are minor, so on Monday morning I will  start it and keep on it until I finish it. I made a commitment and will complete it within the week. Writing things down makes them clear.  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment