Sunday, November 7, 2021

Do ;you have a hobby?

 In a great post by "Sightings over Sixty," Tom asked the question and went on to talk about all of the positives of having a hobby. It was a great question and a great post. Hobbies are good for you they tell us. My problem is that I have never had a hobby that I was good at doing. When I worked I had no time. I worked, coached at school and at home.  I worked hard at home maintenance chores and had little time for hobbies. 

I tried hard to develop a hobby that required skills, I took a woodworking course to learn how to make things out of wood, but when the course was over, I did not continue in that direction. I took a weightlifting course, with the same result, while I was in the course I did well, but when the course ended I stopped weightlifting. My wife even signed us up for dancing class, and again while we were in the class we enjoyed it but when it was done, we did not continue.

Five years before I retired I took up Golf but did not take lessons. Over the years I surprised myself and I continue to Golf. I go once a week from about April to October and I enjoy it. I may have to amend my earlier statement, I do have a hobby. I golf or rather I walk the course with good friends, tell stories and enjoy the company while trying to hit a little ball with a big stick less than 100 times over eighteen holes. To date, I have only succeeded a few times. I think my saving grace for golf, is that I have never had the desire to take lessons, so I know that I will never be more than a mediocre golfer and I realized that I am fine with that, and I also realized that I did in fact have a hobby.

No comments:

Post a Comment