Friday, December 17, 2021

Should you age proof your house?

Maybe my wife and I are in denial. We've been talking about ageing, and I have thought about whether or not we should prepare to age in place by getting our home ready for the possibility that we might suffer an age-related disability.  My wife from time to time has issues with getting around, so I suggested the idea of installing a chair lift to get us to the second floor, which, in my mind would be better than selling. We are thinking about it and have been for about a year. Some people might think we were procrastinating but we are just being thorough.

I have a friend who lives in a one-story house. The master bedroom is on the first floor. They don't have to climb steps. Actually, going up the stairs doesn't bother me. But going down is a little more difficult. I get a twinge in my knee, a crack in my ankle. I have resolved to always make sure to hold onto the banister when negotiating the stairs. I know the last thing you want when you're our age is a fall.

We have a yard with trees in the front and the back, and I am researching the best way to handle the leaves that fall. There is one school of thought that says pick them up, and get rid of them. Another train of thought says pick them up and compost them. While a third train of though says leave them on the lawn, it will not hurt the lawn.

Meanwhile, some of our friends have moved into a townhouse or condominium. They don't have to rake leaves at all, but they are not subject tot new rules and regulations imposed by Condo Boards.

I am thinking of installing a grab bar in the bathroom, because the bathroom can be a dangerous place if your lose your sense of balance.

There is a movement in our area to replace the round doorknobs on the front doors of rooms with a levered doorknob on the front door. Because they are easier to open for seniors. I am not sure if it a good idea, but we have one, and it is easier to open and close than the front door.

The bottom line is if you want to age in place, then age-proofing your home is a good idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment