Friday, July 22, 2022

High School Reunion

 I graduated 57 years ago and I went to the 25th, 40th, and 50th reunions. Each of them had a different feel and I was glad I did. On the 25th I was struck by the posturing and one-upmanship that seemed to me too prevalent. I had the impression that people were trying to impress each other with how successful they had become. The other thing I noticed was that high school behaviours and cliques were reformed very quickly. I was not impressed, most of the people at the reunion were people who had stayed close to our hometown. I had moved away and had not been back or been in touch with anyone from high school since I left. I was glad I came but was a bit saddened by the event.

I was not going to go the 40th but a friend suggested I give it another chance. So I went. The reunion was a complete turnaround. People seemed more settled in and ok with what they had accomplished in life. There was more talk of family, and friends who were no longer with us. I think most people had become successful and held no need to boast or try to put others down. I saw some friends from school that I had forgotten but I was glad to see them and to catch up. Again, most lived near the town, but many had returned because they had parents and family to take care of in town. It was a lot more fun and I met some people, with whom I continue to correspond from time to time. The group actually started a Facebook page and I read it at least two or three times a week to keep up to date. I was very glad I went.

We had our 50th, 7 years ago and we are looking forward to the 60th. The 50th was more fun and surprisingly there were more people that had not been to the other reunions. I had forgotten many of these people, but when I saw them, it was a pleasure and fun to get caught up. I had a great time and I hope that when we have the 60th there may be other surprises that await me.

Reunions have their own unique culture and each of the ones I have gone to has given me ideas to think about, surprises and brought back many positive memories. I hope that you have someone who is committed to organizing and running your high school reunion. I would like to thank the men and women of my graduating class who  over the years have done a great job of keeping memories alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment