The same event can be seen in many different ways. You have more control over how you interpret what happens than you might think. Learning to reframe your experiences is a skill you can practice every day.
A good friend does not call you back. What does that mean to
you?
You could interpret it as: "They are busy. They will call
when they can." Or you could interpret it as: "They do not care about
me. I must have done something wrong." The event is the same. The story you
tell yourself about it is completely different.
And that story determines how you feel, what you do next, and
whether you damage a relationship or let it go.
Psychologists call this "reframing." It is the practice
of choosing a different lens through which to view the same event. It is not about
denying reality. It is about recognizing that reality is often more complex than
our first interpretation.
We often get stuck in one story because it is familiar. If you
have spent decades telling yourself, "I am not good with money" or "I
am too old to learn new things," those stories become comfortable. They feel
true, not because they are true, but because you have repeated them so many times.
But if you can catch yourself in the middle of an old story,
you can choose a new one.
Instead of "I am not good with money," try: "I
am learning to manage my finances better."
Instead of "I am too old to learn new things," try:
"I am curious about what I can still learn."
The words are different. The feeling is different. And the outcome
is different.
Think of something that has been bothering you lately. Write
it down in one sentence. Then write down three alternative ways to interpret the
same situation.
For example:
Original interpretation: "My children do not visit me enough."
Alternative 1: "My children are busy, and they show their
love in other ways."
Alternative 2: "I could call them and invite them to visit."
Alternative 3: "This is a chance for me to build relationships
with others in my community."
You are not pretending the first interpretation is not real. You are just recognizing that it is not the only one.
This week, notice when you
are telling yourself a painful story. Ask yourself: "What is another way to
look at this?" See if you can find one that serves you better.
No comments:
Post a Comment