google.com, pub-7178919035426667, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0

Friday, October 2, 2026

Is Scanning a Book an Act of Salvation... or Destruction?

I recently came across something that genuinely surprised me.

Did you know that used bookstores are reportedly having one of their best years in decades? Not because people have suddenly rediscovered the classics, but because AI companies are buying books by the pallet.Scanning them...

And then destroying them.

The process is called destructive scanning. Workers slice the spine off a book, separate the pages, run them through high-speed scanners, and then recycle or discard what's left. It's fast, efficient, and apparently legal. A recent court ruling found that because the original book no longer exists after scanning, only one copy remains.

That got me thinking.

Is this an act of preservation, or an act of destruction?

There are compelling arguments on both sides.

Those in favour say the real value of a book is the knowledge it contains. Paper fades. Pages yellow. Books are damaged by floods, fires, and time itself. Once digitized, the contents can be searched, translated, copied, and preserved indefinitely. A book sitting on one dusty shelf can suddenly become available to readers around the world.

That's hard to argue with.

Libraries, universities, and projects like Google Books, the Internet Archive, and Project Gutenberg have spent years digitizing books so they can be preserved and shared. Most people see those efforts as worthwhile.

But this feels different.

In this case, companies are buying millions of books, scanning them, destroying the originals, and storing the digital copies behind corporate walls to train artificial intelligence. The public never gains access to those files. The books disappear, but the knowledge isn't shared, it becomes part of a commercial product.

For many book lovers, that's where the discomfort begins.

To them, a book is far more than words on paper. It has a history, a personality, even a soul. A first edition, handwritten notes in the margin, an out-of-print volume, or simply the feel and smell of a well-loved book cannot be digitized. Once it's gone, it's gone forever.

Others counter that we're confusing the container with the contents. They argue that preserving the ideas is what really matters, even if the physical object is sacrificed.

I can understand both perspectives.

Perhaps the issue isn't the scanning itself. Perhaps it's the purpose. Digitizing books to preserve knowledge and make it available to everyone feels very different from destroying books to build a better commercial AI system.

I have to admit, I'm still undecided.

One wall of my den is lined with books I've collected over many years. I still pull them down for research or simply because I enjoy holding a real book in my hands. At the same time, I also listen to audiobooks and read digital editions. I appreciate the convenience of technology, but I also treasure the experience of turning actual pages.

So, I'm curious.

Where do you stand?

Is destroying a physical book to preserve its contents an act of salvation?

Or is it a form of cultural destruction?

I'd really like to hear your thoughts. I suspect there isn't a single right answer, and that's exactly what makes this conversation so interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment