Sunday, May 30, 2010

What is the real backstory

As I walked by I stopped for a second to listen. The group was talking about the movie Avatar and the teacher said to the class, "the only purpose of life is to love, build relationship and care about others. There is no other reason for life."  None of  the students disagreed, I thought interesting that the teacher chose this movie to lead a discussion on the meaning of life. I would have chosen, Monty Python's The Meaning of Life as a better starting off point for that discussion. Not only is the movie funny, but it is totally irreverent and that in itself is a reason to celebrate life

There, of course, is more than one reason for living and I suspect the teacher was trying to make a point to get some discussion from the students. I hope she did because before I heard any responses, I had to move on.

I  notice that as I wonder around life that I hear snippets of conversation and it becomes fun for me to imagine a back story to the conversation and put the characters into focus for me. I don't do it all the time, but from time to time it is fun. Using my imagination to create the back story or the continuation of the conversation is an enjoyable pastime, and goes along well with people watching.

No comments:

Post a Comment