Sunday, February 13, 2011

Music

"Music is, to me, proof of the existence of God.
It is so extraordinarily full of magic, and in tough times
of my life I can listen to music and it makes such a difference."
—Kurt Vonnegut


All deep things are song.  It seems somehow the very central essence of us, song; as if all the rest were but wrap pages and hulls!  ~Thomas Carlyle

Music is an important part of who we are as Boomers. I once heard someone say that our musical tastes become frozen In time in our late teens. I wonder if that is true for most of us. I love the music of the 50's and the 60's. Each time I listen  carefully to a song, the memories come flooding back, the sites the sounds, the smells, the atmosphere of when I fist heard the music.

When my children were old enough to understand stories, and when we would be in the car driving I was had the radio on and I always took the time to tell stories about most of the songs we heard. Many I made up, just to amuse my kids but others were based on what I had heard or read about the songs.

I listened to all types of music and my son said the other day that the first recollections of music he remembers were songs we played from Broadway plays. I had forgotten that we had a collection of songs that we listened to in the evenings when not much was on TV.

Music is important and will continue to be important in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment