Sunday, May 27, 2012

Journeys and stages of life

I was hoping to be fully retired again  (short version--retired, rehired the next day part-time moved to full time within two years, quit, rehired on a temp basis).  About a week ago the person I was replacing phoned to say they were not coming back untlil September, and I find myself thinking about crossroads. Which steps should I take towards rearranging the present circumstances of my life.

Maybe I could stop dwelling upon the present circumstances of my life. I might start thinking that every wrinkle, scar, or gray hair only made me more handsome rather than older :-). If I was to look back on life would I wonder if every tear I've shed, every mistake I've made, and challenge I've faced,only drew me closer to the light? And what if, for every breath I've taken, every sentence I've spoken, and every path I've chosen, that my fans in the unseen multiplied?

While I was hoping to restart my new journey of retirement, at the same time I was feeling anxious and vulnerable. I know that it is only natural to feel vulnerable, but it is an interesting place to be in at times. The last two times I have started on this journey I have retreated back into the world of work that I know so well, one that as a workaholic, I found very comfortable. I know that at this time part of the anxiety I feel is that it seems that I have much to lose. But I am reminded that never again, at any other point in in this journey, will I have so much to gain.

So at this point rather that going adventurng into the world of retirement full steam ahead, I am stalled for two more months,  and for a workaholics like me out any words of advice would help.

No comments:

Post a Comment