Thursday, June 6, 2013

Moolala

I was depositing some checks at my local Credit Union the other day and as I was leaving a young lady asked me if I would be interested in sitting in on a seminar the Credit Union was putting on about personal finance. Once she told me it would be a short seminar, I said sure. It was not that I was interested in the seminar but this was one of my first trips out of the house since my knee surgery and I wanted to extend the time out. 

I enjoyed the seminar and the approach that presenter took to engage the participants and to get his message out.  The take away from the seminar for me was that adults need to be reminded how to dream, as we did when we were children, and once we created the dream then we needed a systematic approach to following through on the dream. Many of us as boomer's have forgotten how to dream or we are frozen in time and space when we look ahead to retirement (or our ability to retire). 

Another take away from the seminar was that it is never too late to create the dream, and it is never to late to follow through on the dreams we have. Now those of you who have followed me for a while, know that I retired three times, first in 2006 then in 2010 and again in 2012 because I was/am a work-a-holic and did not know how to slow down and relax. I am learning this and I think that the seminar helped me reinforce some of my  ideas and my dreams.  

Here is some information on the presenter, and my hope is that my Credit Union follows up with using his approach to helping their members achieve their goals. I think it will work.  The seminar covered the following topics

  • Step 1: Lay the foundation. Why smart people do dumb things with their money (and what you can do about it).
  • Step 2: Determine what you want. Think holistically about your life and formulate goals across a broad range of areas including experiences you want to have, where you want to contribute, your goals for family, career, home and health.
  • Step 3: Develop the plan. Identify the key actions you need to take to get what you want.
  • Step 4: Take action. Formulate declarations and reminders to help you overcome procrastination and get moving.
  • Step 5: Stay engaged. Set your life up so that your personal finances are easy and require little of your time and energy


The seminar was given by a young man name Bruce Sellery who was working with the Credit Union and their financial planners to create a different approach to handling money for members.  Bruce has an extensive history as Business journalist, TV host, Author and Professional speaker. He has written a book called Moolala, available here.   I highly recommend the book as he focuses on helping people create dreams, follow through on their dreams, by helping the individual create a plan and a way to implement and follow up with that plan.

He is also the founder of Moolala, a personal finance training company with a mission to inspire people to get a handle on their money so they can live the life they want. Moolala works in partnership with many different organizations and financial institutions to provide financial education through live events, workshops, consulting and online material. Bruce is also a columnist with Moneysense.ca, a leading personal finance magazine, and is the financial expert and co-host on “Million Dollar Neighbourhood”, a reality TV show that airs on the Oprah Winfrey Network.

The 'Moolala Method' is a 5 step approach to getting a handle on your money that can be applied to anyone. It has been featured in the media across North America, including CNN, MSNBC, CBC Television, CBC Radio, Globe & Mail, Financial Post, Calgary Herald, Vancouver Province, Alberta Venture, and Canadian Business Magazine 

No comments:

Post a Comment