Thursday, July 18, 2013
Ideas on how to be happy
9 Easy Steps to Be Happy in 30 Minutes By Gretchen Rubin - realsimple.com
1. Raise your activity level to pump up your energy. Take a brisk 10-minute walk. Even better…
2. Take a walk outside. Research suggests that light stimulates brain chemicals that improve mood.
3. Reach out. Send an e-mail to a friend you haven’t seen in a while, or reach out to someone new.
4. Rid yourself of a nagging task. Crossing an irksome chore off your to-do list will give you a rush of elation.
5. Create a more serene environment. Outer order contributes to inner peace, a large stack of little tasks can feel overwhelming, but often just a few minutes of work can make a sizable dent. Set the timer for 10 minutes and see what you can do.
6. Do a good deed. Introduce two people by e-mail, take a minute to pass along useful information, or deliver some gratifying praise. In fact, you can also…
7. Save someone’s life. Sign up to be an organ donor, and remember to tell your family about your decision.
8. Act happy. Fake it ’til you feel it. Research shows that even an artificially induced smile boosts your mood.
9. Learn something new. Think of a subject that you wish you knew more about and spend 15 minutes on the Internet reading about it, or go to a bookstore and buy a book about it.
Some people worry that wanting to be happier is a selfish goal, but in fact, research shows that happier people are more sociable, likable, healthy, and productive, and they’re more inclined to help other people. By working to boost your own happiness, you’re making other people happier, too