Friday, September 6, 2013

Its the little things

Recently one of my ex students made a comment on Facebook, which I found interesting and heart warming.  I had made a comment on her page about her new glasses and she responded with the following comment directed, I think, at one of her friends who had asked her a question.

She said: "I called him Mr. Shookie, was the best teacher I ever had. He went beyond teaching me math. First I was ADHD at the time we didn't know. Then Canada became metric and he tried with all his might to teach me it. He told me just remember the jingles. ( I still do Mr. Shook.)"

I taught math many many years ago at an inner city Junior High school and one year I had a very strange but wonderful group of students. They were given to me because they did not fit into the regular math classroom, for a variety of reasons and no other teacher wanted the headaches associated with this group of students. This was before students were tested for behaviour issues and the idea of students having learning disabilities was not considered. Teaching of  students with special needs has come  a long way over the years. 


I remember that I had fun with the class but many of the days that year I felt I was flying by the seat of my pants in trying to make a connection between what I was teaching and the students but I never knew if I was making a difference. It seems I did.

The little things made an impact on at least one person and as a teacher, it is a wonderful feeling to be recognized for doing my job by my students.  In life it is the little things that make life worthwhile and I am grateful for the above comment that shows what I did over 35 years ago still has impact today.

Actions and words we do today, have impact over the long term on other people. Make each day, word and action count. Life is too short to not have a positive impact on those around us.

No comments:

Post a Comment