Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Saving money can cost you in other ways

Sometimes I try to save money and most of the time I am successful, but sometimes my attempt at penny pinching yields inadequate results.Sometimes, trying to save a little extra costs you in other ways:

Experience: Part of travel, for me, is the good experience of a comfortable room. Sometimes, when you work to save extra money, you miss out on some experiences that you value. So if you can splurge and upgrade your room, to make the experience better for yourself.

Time: For me, this is an even bigger consideration than experience. I place a high value on my time (which is why these travel coupons are so useful since they are easy to use). If I can save time by paying a little extra for something, I’ll do it. I’m not going to stand in line for three hours for a free item that it would only cost me $5 to buy otherwise. I have other things to do with my time. 

Convenience: Another consideration is convenience. Sometimes, if you want improved convenience, you need to pay for it. The convenience of buying movie tickets online, and avoiding the line at theater, is worth the extra $1.50 per ticket to me.

Quality: Sometimes, you really do get what you pay for. If you pay bottom-dollar for something, there’s a chance that you will get bottom-quality as well. Sometimes, that lower quality can cost you more over time in replacement parts and frustration than it would have cost to just pay a little bit extra to purchase an item of higher quality in the first place.

No comments:

Post a Comment