Thursday, June 26, 2014

Can you move outside of your comfort zone?

When something shoves you outside of your comfort zone, it’s a lot easier to make it wrong than it is to accept it. It’s a lot easier to be fearful of it than it is to be fascinated by it. It’s a lot easier to condemn it than it is to understand it.

This Goes Well Beyond People, we do this with other stuff too! Not just people.

What have you crossed off your list because you already decided that it’s “impossible” even though countless others have done it?

What have you turned down because it was too “scary” forcing you to choose the safer path?

Who is missing from your life right now because you found out something about them that “just isn’t you?”

How many other experiences are you closed off to just because of how you have allowed your internal dialogue to interpret them?

I try not to but I still find that I judge someone or something based on some stupid rule I created. We all do. Sometimes I catch myself. But it’s in my nature as a human to judge a book by its cover. Just like you. And when I do, 99 out of 100 times I later find out that I was wrong about it. Just like you. I wonder how many great experiences I missed because I was afraid to move out of my comfort zone, and as life goes on, I am finding myself more open to experiences and to moving out of my comfort zone, but it is hard work, and worth it. Maybe you should think about moving out of your comfort zone. What have you got to lose?

No comments:

Post a Comment