Friday, July 24, 2015

Five year plans

I was at the Annual General Meeting of SHARE Family Services and I was talking to a couple of younger attendees about careers and moving on. The CEO of SHARE after five years was moving on to a different position. When I was younger I moved or changed my position about every five years. I was lucky to have worked in a large organization, so I could move easily, but others are not so lucky and have to change career paths in new organizations. The CEO stated that he believed it was important to renew about every five or so years, and that was one of the reasons he was leaving. A big loss for SHARE but a huge gain for the new organization. 

Another discussion about moving, a younger man talked about the fact he had been hired five years ago to run the company and had agreed to only a five year run, which was ending. The problem was that the organization had seen its sales increased 41/2 times during his tenure. He wanted to move and take care of other goals and dreams he had set for himself, while the owner of the company did not want him to leave. He was not sure what he was going to do, but would soon make a decision.

Another discussion revolved around the taking of a new position running a large organization and the excitement that the woman felt at the incredible opportunities she saw as well as the huge obstacles, the organization faced. She had been on the job for three weeks, so there was some discussion about the honeymoon period. I could see the wheels turning as a couple of people talked to her about working together (both were in the same field, just a different city) to help each other.

As I watched and listened to the younger members (people in their 40's)  of the  society I was impressed by their optimism and their faith in themselves and the fact they believed they could and would make changes. 

I think the idea of change is scary for some people, but I believe change should be embraced. If you retired and you are stuck in a static situation, you have the power to change it. Take the initiative, plan for the next five years, but plan for new and exciting opportunities. Volunteer, learn to sing, play an instrument or travel to a new location. Boomers are changing the face of retirement and that is a good thing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment