Thursday, August 25, 2016

Learning to focus on experiencing

I have talked about my struggles to accept the fact that I am retired, and how long it took for me to accept being fully retired. As part of that struggle I had to learn to focus more on experiencing rather than doing. 

Some would say I was/am a workaholic at each stage of my life, I focused on doing more than was expected and as a result, I was successful in my chosen career and was able to fill my life with stuff.

When I was younger I thought it was important to work to have things such as cars, homes, clothes, furnishings, etc. But at this stage in life, I no longer have a desire to buy the latest car, upgrade my home, wear the latest fashions, or show off the newest, latest toy I own. 

I have friends who still have such a need; they will show off their latest driver, putter, when we are golfing. My clubs are at least eight years old and they still work. 

I don't need the latest toys to enjoy the experience. I am learning to, as they said when I was younger, "go with the flow".

Try it, I  think you may find it a change of pace and I am learning it makes life so much more enjoyable.

No comments:

Post a Comment