Friday, January 20, 2017
None of us is average
I read this quote “You are the average of the five people you spend time with” and as I did more research I found that this quote was first said by Jim Rohn, who is a motivational speaker. I believe is idea is that you should spend your time with highly motivated and wonderful people, and if you do then you will become like the people you spend time with. This relates to the law of averages, which is the theory that the result of any given situation will be the average of all outcomes.
However, none of us is average, we are all special in our own way and we have our own unique gifts to offer the world. As we move through retirement we can reflect back over our life and make a decision to stay the course or to grow and become a better or different person.
Let us do an exercise now. Pick up your pen and paper, then write down the answers to the following questions:
1. What is the kind of person you want to be?
2. What is your ideal self that you wish to become?
3. What are the qualities you want to possess?
4. Who are the people you spend the most time with in your life currently?
a. How are they like?
b. What are the top 3 qualities each of them stand for?
5. Do they match who you want to become in the future?
a. Do their qualities match who you want to become?
b. o they help enable or disable your vision for yourself
c. Do they elevate you or bring you down?
6. Who is the person who embodies the qualities you desire?
There are no rules. Let your imagination run wild here!
How can you increase contact with them?
This is where the interesting bit comes in. Depending on who these people are, you can use the following methods to reach out to them:
1. Direct contact: This can be via face-to-face contact, telephone or via email/internet. Do you have any friends who might know this individual? Is there a way for you to bridge into the same social circles?
2. Products of their work: If direct communication does not work out, you can always bring the person to you by reading any works under his/her name, such as shows, books or podcasts? Get your hands on them and soak yourself in them.
3. Visualization: Clear your mind and visualize these people in your mind. Try to project them as clearly as possible, from how they look, think, act, say. When you are done, consult them in your mind and observe their responses to whatever you ask.
If you are to connect with them every day, even if for just 15 minutes a time, it’s a matter of time before your consciousness alters and shifts to the new level. If you are a stubborn individual in a low consciousness, it will take a longer period of time; if you are a high consciousness individual who is highly adaptable, it will take a shorter amount of time.
Eventually, you will start resonating with these people you aspire. You will find that you start thinking in the same wavelength and start talking about the same topics as them. Those thinking will then affect your actions, which will manifest into results you see in life.