Thursday, February 9, 2017
Agist society or not
Key messages we want to use to stop ageism in our community A strong message from Maddy at Home
· Ageism is all around us.
· All older people are different but ageism assumes that growing older is the same experience for everyone.
· We must question ageism and how older people are often stereotyped in a certain way because of their age.
· We live in a world where older people’s rights are denied. This must change!
· We live in an ageing world. Don’t let it be an ageist one.
· Ageism leads to age discrimination, which, like all discrimination, legitimises and sustains inequalities.
· Describing or depicting older age as something to resist or even delay reinforces ageist stereotypes and suggests living longer is a negative experience for everyone.
· Ageism puts unnecessary pressures on ourselves to achieve certain goals at a certain time in our lives before we are deemed “too old” to do them.
· No one can get younger but we can live in a world where living longer is celebrated and not dreaded.
· Let’s begin to appreciate our diversity throughout our whole lives including in later age\