Monday, July 5, 2021

Age-based stereotyping

 Did you ever come across age-based stereotyping when you wee working? Back when I was in my 30’s and was department head, I had some older people in my department. I was skeptical from time to time about their ability to do the job. I did not realize that I was skeptical because I was practising age-based stereotyping. I questioned their competence, not based on anything substantial but because of their age. I did it without thinking and without any knowledge of the motivation behind my thinking. I was, in my 30’s an ageist which is wrong, but it took me a long time to realize my fault.

Ageism is rooted in how we perceive age and ageing. There is research that suggests that across cultures and continents, young adults (those most often identified as having ageist attitudes) hold remarkably similar perceptions of ageing; that is, there is an increase in wisdom but a decline in the ability to perform everyday tasks or competence. This was true for me, the older people I worked with I thought had skills, and knowledge, but lacked the ability to do the job every day.

Many studies identify competence as a common negative stereotype about older workers. This stereotypical view of older workers being less competent than younger workers (under 29) is held by young adults, human resources professionals, and other workers with a mean age of 35.

Age-based stereotyping in the workplace is complex. Stereotypes can and do occur at three different levels: individual, organizational and societal. Individual-level stereotypes about older workers’ competence, adaptability (most often associated with technology and learning) and warmth (meaning sincere, kind, or trustworthy) are most common.

Often, the image of an older worker combines both positive and negative stereotypes. For example, older workers have been described both as “warm” but resistant to change or lacking adaptability. Individual-level stereotypes also include assumptions about older workers’ health and work-life balance.

The World Health Organization in 2018 defined Ageism as the stereotyping, prejudice and discrimination against people on the basis of their age. Although all age groups may face negative age-based perceptions, ageism towards older adults has been described as most tolerated form of social prejudice.

1 comment: