Monday, October 4, 2021

Golf Adventures

 I just returned from our annual golf trip. It was fun but very tiring, 20 years ago we would golf 5 days in a row; stay up late, talking and drinking; get up early in the morning and hit the links by about 8:00. Those days have passed. This year we golfed for four days out of five using Wednesday as a day to explore the community. Every year we pick a different part of our area to visit, but we never seemed to get the time to explore the area.

This year we took the time to explore and I found the change of pace restful, which allowed me the energy to finish the week on a higher note. We still stayed up late, going to sleep between 2 and 4 for the first two nights and getting up by 7:30 to get ready for golf. On the third day, we needed the time off, not from the golfing but from the talking till the wee hours of the morning. The last two days we were asleep by one.

Most of our late-night early-morning discussions were spent talking about earlier trips and antics at high school and university. I graduated from a very large high school in the mid-sixties, and my friends graduated from very small schools. So much of the time was spent talking about the different experiences. Bruce Springsteen was not far off when he wrote the song "Glory Days".

The trip this year was just as much fun as it has been for the last 22 years, and I hope to continue being part of the tour for a long time to come. Next year I will have to return as I won the trophy. My friends said I had won because I was the most improved and showed the most consistent improvement over the five days. I appreciate the reasoning and I know my score was after applying the handicap by the end of the week was 78 and I do know that the others were lower than mine, but they said, that I had started a lot higher.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment