Sunday, November 13, 2022

Slip sliding away

 In my previous life, I knew a bit about computers, I taught programming and had my first computer back in 1983. I was fortunate enough to complete a Master’s in Educational Technology back in 1995. So when I have a problem with my computer I can usually fix it without calling for help.

The other day my Samsung Laser printer went offline and so I set about trying to reconnect it to my computer. I thought it would be an easy job, but after two days of frustration, I could not get it working. So, I resorted to the old trick of re-installing it. Even that did not work. I had updated the drivers, checked my connections, and checked to make sure it was recognized by the home network I was using. The computer was recognized by the network, yet Windows 10 would not recognize the printer.

I was at my wit's end, so I made one more attempt to get the printer connected, and it worked. I sat back and went over what I had done differently between the first attempt and the second. I realized that I had changed one step, and that made it work.

I am slowly losing my grip on technology. I have a smartphone which I use for social media, texting, and email as well as my phone. Most of the functions of the phone are like my understanding of Greek, which is zero. 

I don’t know if I am getting old or just tired of trying to keep up with technology. I feel my old life is slip sliding away. One day I will set aside my keyboard and stroll off to the sunset, but I hope that is not for a long, long time. As the song says “We’re here for a good time, not a long time.”

No comments:

Post a Comment