Monday, January 22, 2024

Do we gain wisdom as we age?

 I recently had the privilege of conducting a workshop at a gathering of Aboriginal Elders, an experience I found both captivating and enlightening. In the promotional materials for the event, the organizers articulated a philosophical sentiment:

"Our Elders possess an accumulation of age-old wisdom, an amalgamation of knowledge and experiences indispensable for guiding younger generations through the labyrinth of life. Ensuring the perpetuity of this event is paramount, as it serves as a conduit for transmitting the legacy of our revered Elders to subsequent generations."

As I engaged with the workshop attendees, most of whom were in my age bracket or slightly younger, I couldn't help but contemplate whether they truly believed they possessed "all the wisdom of the ages."

At my stage of life, I recognize that the pursuit of wisdom is an ongoing journey, and it often eludes us even when others perceive it within us. The nebulous nature of wisdom leaves me questioning whether I have indeed attained it or remain on the path toward its realization. It appears that defining wisdom is as puzzling for experts as it is for me.

I started to investigate the concept of wisdom and encountered the notion of crystallized intelligence, a cognitive ability enabling us to harness our knowledge and experiences to solve problems and gain insights into life's complexities.

Some contend that the ability to swiftly resolve issues is a hallmark of wisdom, while others emphasize the indispensable role of introspection in the pursuit of wisdom. In addition, experts in the field of wisdom suggest that compassion and empathy serve as foundational cornerstones for an individual to be conferred the title of "wise."

Over the years, I have been sought out for advice on myriad subjects, and I have consistently offered my perspectives, believing that those who sought my counsel were in search of my wisdom. However, I have often found that my well-intentioned advice was received politely and subsequently disregarded. 

Consequently, I have evolved into a more attentive listener, refraining from dispensing guidance, even when solicited. It is only when I am persistently asked for my viewpoint that I harken back to the guiding principle of the quiz show "Jeopardy": "Respond in the form of a question." Perhaps, this marks the initial stride on my journey toward the attainment of true wisdom.

No comments:

Post a Comment