Sunday, January 21, 2024

70 is the new 60 or is it 66 is the new 70?

 You know what really bothers me? The advice from self-help gurus: 75 is the new 60, and 65 is the new 50.  This phrase is ageist and doesn’t make sense to me. Seriously, what on earth are they on about? Is it energy, cognitive skills, health, the amount of free time you have, or is it all of these things?

When I was younger in my 60s, I had more energy, I was healthier, and perhaps maybe, just maybe, I was a tad wiser - although I won't swear by it. I did not have a lot of free time. The phrase is designed, I think, to allow people to feel good about their age.

The phrase gives people who are feeling bad about their age or accomplishments in life to date, the sense that they can still be useful and productive members of society. Retirement is undoubtedly one of life’s biggest transitions and people today retire by age 63. When they retire most expect to live for another 15 to 20 years. Retirement is no longer the finish line based on life expectancy, it’s the starting gate! You're in for a wild ride of self-discovery, new passions, and a fresh sense of purpose. So, wear your age like a badge of honour! Don't let the experts tell you that your age is not important. Remember 75 is not the new 60 and 65 is not the new 50  you have earned the honour of being your age. People forget that over time you have redefined yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment