google.com, pub-7178919035426667, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0

Sunday, August 16, 2026

Aging Well: Independence Is More Than Living Alone

In my first post in this series, I promised to explore the issues that concern older adults most and to look not only at what research tells us but also at practical things we can do to age well.

This time, I'd like to look at the second greatest concern identified in National Geographic's Outlook on the Second Half of Life: maintaining our independence.

For many people, independence means living in their own home. While that's certainly part of it, independence is much broader. It means making our own decisions, remaining mobile, managing our daily lives, contributing to our communities, and continuing to enjoy the activities that bring us purpose and joy.

Good health is the foundation of independence.

One participant in the study reflected on how much life expectancy has changed during his lifetime.

"I remember when people retired at 65 and died a couple of years later. Now I'm 70, and life expectancy is much higher. Before COVID, I was still doing CrossFit and kickboxing. If he can do it, I can do it."

His story highlights something important. Our expectations of aging have changed dramatically. Many people today remain active well into their seventies and eighties. They volunteer, travel, learn new skills, care for grandchildren, and continue making valuable contributions to their communities.

Another participant explained that watching family members develop heart disease and other health conditions motivated her to eat well, stay active, and pay attention to her health.

Her story reminds us that while we cannot change our family history, we can influence many of the factors that affect healthy aging.

Research consistently shows that regular physical activity, nutritious food, quality sleep, stress management, and maintaining social connections all contribute to better physical and cognitive health. None of these guarantees perfect health, but together they improve our chances of remaining independent for longer.

One finding from the National Geographic survey surprised me. Although health conditions become more common with age, many older adults actually rate their own health more positively than younger people do. Perhaps that's because health isn't simply the absence of illness. It is the ability to live a meaningful life despite the challenges we face.

Mobility is another essential ingredient of independence.

Walking across a parking lot, climbing stairs, carrying groceries, getting out of a chair, or reaching into a cupboard are tasks we often take for granted, until they become difficult. I understood that at a cognitive level, but not at an emotional one. After my surgery I was immobile for about 12 weeks, I am, at the time of writing, able to get around with an aide. And the end of the need for support is close. But I now have greater empathy for those who cannot see an end.

The good news is that strength and balance can improve at almost any age. Research shows that older adults benefit from regular walking, resistance exercises, stretching, and balance training. Even modest improvements can reduce the risk of falls and help us remain confident and independent.

The key is not becoming an athlete. It is simply continuing to move.

Every walk around the block, every gardening session, every dance class, every swim, and every exercise class is an investment in your future independence.

Healthy aging isn't about avoiding every illness or injury. It's about giving ourselves the best possible chance to continue living life on our own terms.

Independence isn't something we either have or lose overnight. It is built through hundreds of small choices we make every day.

So let me leave you with this question:

What is one habit you could begin this week that your future self will thank you for?

1 comment:

  1. This framing of independence as hundreds of small daily choices rather than one big state really resonates. The mobility section hit home for me too, since staying active is the foundation everything else builds on. I'm Alex Qi, CEO of Silvie by Pontosense, a Canadian company building privacy-first home sensing that helps older adults live independently, with no cameras, microphones, or wearables. Families interested in early access, free setup help, and a direct feedback line with our team are welcome to join our Founding Families program here: https://silvie.com/founding-families/application

    ReplyDelete