Friday, April 11, 2014

Thoughts are powerful

“Watch your thoughts; they become words. Watch your words; they become actions. Watch your actions; they become habit. Watch your habits; they become character. Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.” a quote by Lao Tzu, the founder of Taoism (pronounced as "Daoism"). He is also revered as a deity in most religious forms of the Taoist religion, still ring true today.

Thoughts are powerful, and if you are to change yourself you have to start with your thoughts. One simple thought can change your destiny forever! 

For most of my life I was a late riser, early mornings were lost to me, but I decided that I would be more productive if I woke up earlier than 8:00. So my initial thought was that I needed to be more productive in the morning, which led me to action. Making this adjustment was not easy. If you’re making an adjustment from sleeping in late, it can be difficult, because you’re tired at first. If you plunge into it and try to wake up an hour or two earlier, it can be hard to make it through the day. Over a 5 year period I struggled to be an early riser and finally the habit of getting up in the morning became my regular routine.

We all have different times of that day that we are more  productive. I used to be a night owl, I thought I was really productive when I worked late, until I started to change my mind set to waking up early. It is much more freeing to get up early, get work done and have the rest of the day to enjoy.When I was a night owl. I had the mornings to relax, but in  the back of my head, I was always thinking about all the work I had to do later. I never fully took time off and relaxed.


I think the key to action is to tune into your own body and understand the power of ‘quiet time’ because being an early riser puts you in a quiet time space – the best thing I can say is  put forth by one very famous guy – Thomas Edison who said “If we all did the things we are capable of doing we would literally astound ourselves

Becoming an early riser wasn't a decision, but a complete change in my habits. It takes time to get there, kind of like quitting smoking or any other habit. You have to want it, and if you don’t find the benefit to be more worthy than the feeling of sleeping in, then you'll have a hard time making the commitment.

No comments:

Post a Comment