Thursday, March 22, 2012

How do you make decisions about change

I was thinking about changes as I wrestled with a problem a while back, and realized that I had to make a decision between two types of change offered to me. The first was an incremental change that would cause a small shift in process and procedures, but would not cause any radical shift to occur.

The change although small would however, take the group I was making the decision for in a different direction but this would be done over time. Slow change is comfortable, easy to get used to and not a shock to the mind or body and easy to handle especially in these unsettled times.

The other change was a more dramatic shift, dealing with unknowns and would cause the group to change more quickly. This type of change is unsettling, can be dramatic and is unsettling. When I was younger there would have been no hesitation on my part, I would have gone for the dramatic change and not even thought too long about it. However, as I mature, (not grow older) I had to think carefully about how my decision would influence and affect others, perhaps I am getting more empathetic as I become wiser :-0, who knows.

The decision was not easy and I spend a great deal of time weighing pros and cons, examining possible consequences, and went through some not sleepless, but restless nights. I finally made the same decision I would have made in my youth, and who knows where the path will lead. 

I am comfortable in the decision and comfortable with the change that will happen. Being successful relies in part on making wise decisions and part of doing that is relying on good information. With maturity I took the time to weigh all possible options, however I made the decison based on my first instinct. The process was interesting, and helped me realize that over time my first instinct still is as sharp as it was when I was younger. So I still think going with your first instincts can make sense. My question how do you make decisions and are you comfortable with the results of the decisions?

No comments:

Post a Comment