Tuesday, April 24, 2012

What ordinary miracles do you see?


I have heard it said that Zen is the celebration of the ordinary. 


Now, what ordinary miracles do you see at home? Home too can be paradise if you only  look.  I am constantly amazed at how beautful Vancouver looks in the bright Spring sunshine. I was thinking of this as I drove through West Vancouver and stopped to take a look a the view across the harbor to Vancouver.  Everywhere I look, I see the Wonder.

This got me to thinking, what is sacred and magic about the ordinary in your life? Find it. I promise you its there.


One way to do this is to go outside for 10 or 15 minutes, look around you with your artist's eye, and find three things that make you say, "Oh, wow!"


Example: As I was driving home, I saw a man surrounded by trees with the astonishing colors, the beauty of the ocean behind him, as he took a photo from one foot away (15cm) of a pay telephone. I almost pulled over to so I could see what he was seeing as he and I were looking at the ordinary but with through a different lens. Life is full of surprises!
"If we had a keen vision and feeling of all ordinary human life, it would be like hearing the grass grow and the squirrel's heart beat, and we should die of that roar which lies on the other side of silence. As it is, the best of us walk about well wadded with stupidity". - George Eliot


"Simplicity, simplicity, simplicity! I say, let your affairs be as two or three, and not a hundred or a thousand;instead of a million count half a dozen, and keep your accounts on your thumb-nail. "- Henry David Thoreau

No comments:

Post a Comment