Sunday, October 21, 2012

A follow up post to Let the Band play On

The following was posted by one of Bob's students along with the post there was a link to a story in the local paper. Thanks to Wayne for sharing.

There will be a tribute concert  for Bob LaBonte, which will take place Oct. 24 at Frank Hurt Secondary (77 Avenue and 139 Street). Doors open at 6 pm., concert starts at 7 pm.

This man will truly be missed. Bob LaBonte was my band teacher 1974-1976. He had us at West Whalley as his first full time class right out of University, poor guy!!!!! Bob was an amazing educator and always had time for his students whether during school hours or after. Todays teachers could take a lesson. My award in Grade 10 as "Most Outstanding Musician", in the Stage Band had more to do with Bobs talent as a music teacher than my musical talent. I took his class in grade 9 because there was no room left in any other electives except electricity. I had some music in the past but had never played the trumpet. I went from a beginner to playing in the Stage band by the middle of the first year. Thank you Bob. The article echos many of my sentiments. RIP Mr. LaBonte, wherever you are I hope you're Jamming!!


For the story Wayne is talking about go here:  http://www.surreyleader.com/news/174800921.html

No comments:

Post a Comment