Sunday, June 16, 2013

Father's Day in Canada

My father was killed in an accident when I was in my early 20's and I never was able to resolve the disputes that fathers and sons grow into as boys become teens and then men. As a teen, my father and I at times did not see eye to eye on many issues, and as I think back I realize that on some of these he was correct and on others I probably was correct.

Sudden death of a parent or a partner is unsettling, and can have long term affects on a person. When my father was killed I did not know about the stages of grieving and went through the stages with my wife whose support was strong and needed. One of the interesting things that occurred is that as the oldest son, the role of what I had to do was well defined by my mom's family. Because of the expectations given to me, I was able to handle the role and fitting into the role, helped me through some of the steps in the grieving process, but during this time I was probably not a nice person to those that wanted to help and support me.

So as you think of your Father on Fathers day, enjoy the day, and embrace the feelings that you have for each other. 

As we grow older, many of our generation, will start to loose their parents and my wish is that you are able to resolve any and all issues that you have in a meaningful manner. As our parents become seniors, they may have a need to tell their story

I hope you take the time to listen and cherish your parent’s story as it is also part of your story. Father’s Day celebrates the contribution that fathers and father figures make to their children’s lives. It is a day for people to show their appreciation for fathers and father figures. Father figures may include stepfathers, fathers-in-law, guardians (e.g.. foster parents), and family friends. Father's Day in Canada is a day to remember fathers and father figures.

Many people in Canada celebrate Father’s Day in a variety of ways to express their love and gratitude to fathers or father figures. Father’s Day activities include (but are not limited to):
  • Participating in Father’s Day fun runs and other events in which the proceeds go towards charity or prostate cancer research.
  • Buying presents such as neckties and other items of clothing, chocolates, books or equipment for various types of hobbies.
  • Giving handmade or purchased cards.
  • Breakfasts, brunches, lunches, or dinners either at home or in restaurants.
  • Taking fathers or father figures out to the movies, the park, the zoo, or another place of interest.
Some people organize joint Father’s Day parties and activities with close friends and family. Those who live away from their fathers or father figures may make long-distance phone calls, send an email or online card, or arrange for gifts to be delivered on Father’s Day. Some museums and other venues open to the general public may host special Father’s Day celebrations where fathers and father figures can enter free of charge.

There are some suggestions that the idea of Father's Day may originate in pagan sun worship. Some branches of paganism see the sun as the father of the universe. The June solstice occurs around the same time of year as Father's Day so some people saw a link between the two.

The idea of a special day to honour fathers and celebrate fatherhood was introduced from the United States. A woman called Sonora Smart Dodd was inspired by the American Mother's Day celebrations and planned a day to honour fathers early in the 20th century. The first Father's Day was celebrated in Spokane, Washington on June 19, 1910. 


No comments:

Post a Comment