Wednesday, August 7, 2019

Golfing Tips


I am a duffer and every time I go golfing with my friends, who are good golfers I get lessons. The lessons have gone on for over 20 years and I am improving but ever so slowly. However, my friends who know the game and have been golfing for over 40 years, love to give me lessons. I listen to what they say and try some and ignore some of their advice.  One of my friends takes lessons and is always full of good ideas. 

When I started playing golf with them, they were golfing in the low 100’s t the low 90’s. I was golfing in the high 120’s to the low 120’s. Over time I have listened and learned well so now I am golfing in the low 100’s to the high 90‘s. They are still golfing in the low 100’s to the low 90’s. This season I have decided not to keep score that way I will have more fun and take the time to enjoy the outing without worry and stress.

I have learned that golf is not something that you can really learn while playing a video game. We have a Wii golf game and when I play it I do really well, shooting (with the computers help par or better) But the reality is learning how to play golf in real life is sometimes complicated and requires that paying close attention to the exact rules and form.  My friends take lessons, I did one year and it set my game back for three years. So while learning from a golf instructor is a wise idea, there are a few mistakes that many of us still tend to make.  Every time I go out, I try to overcome these mistakes to improve my chances of playing a good game of golf and walking away from the green after a successful game with my head held high.

One of the biggest problems that I have is from time to time I look up when I try to strike the ball.  My friends tell me that it is important to always look down until after you have hit the ball.  I have one friend who has eye problems so even if he did look up, which he does from time to time, he can’t see more than 100 yards. So, he never knows where his ball is going to land. Lucky for him we are his eyes and keep track of his ball. My problem is that I get used to watching the flight of the ball and so when I go to hit my ball I look up.

My friends say that to ensure that I stay down until after the hit ensure that I should keep my hips properly rotated. Easier said than done, since my hip replacement I have not yet relearned how to do this.

Additionally, I have been told to ensure that I keep my arms extended fully while swinging. A hint given to me by one of my friends is to count to five after I strike the ball before I look up. Great idea, but I get lost counting and trying to keep my arms extended. I know the counting is to help me pace myself and help me to not look up too quickly.

For over 17 years I have been playing my game by striking the ball to each side of the green, rather than straight ahead. This is a problem caused by many things but it can be corrected with time and patience. After 17 years, I was reminded by my friends that I always need to keep in mind is my stance. I find that if I don’t stand appropriately before I even swing the club, I am not going to have a successful stroke.  I was told analyze my stance before I swing, if I notice that my club is not squarely touching the ball then I back up a bit to ensure that I am not hitting the ball from the side of the club.  Ensuring a solid, square swing will help your ball go to the desired location with a bit of practice, and consistency.

Hooking is an issue but that can be correct as well.  My problem is with my stance that causes my ball to hook. My friends took a close look at my stance, to help me correct this error. I am lucky I have friends who want to share their new found skills from the lessons they take so that I can slowly become better and maybe one day I will move from playing in the low 100’s to high 90’s to playing in the low 100’s to the low 90’s.


No comments:

Post a Comment