Friday, December 22, 2023

Christmas away from home? Have you done that?

In 1996, my wife, mother-in-law and I spent our first Christmas away from home and family. Our children were both living in Australia at the time, and we wanted a different type of Christmas.  We thought that spending Christmas in a warm holiday resort without extended family would be a unique, delightful, and tranquil experience. It was.

When we were in Mexico, we woke up Christmas morning to the sound of waves crashing against the shore and the sun streaming through our windows. The resort itself was decked out in vibrant and festive decorations, and colourful ornaments hanging from the eaves. The atmosphere was cheerful and inviting. We started the day by exchanging gifts as we did at home. The gifts were not as elaborate as they would have been at home, but they were wonderful. We then went for a leisurely stroll along the beach. Later, we stayed by the pool going up to the in-pool bar and enjoying some festive drinks. We had reserved a spot at the resort restaurant for Christmas dinner. 

By noon we had enough of the pool and lazing around so we went to the nearby markets to shop for unique souvenirs and experience the local culture. While the absence of extended family might initially seem like a void, spending Christmas at the resort allowed time for introspection and self-discovery. It was a rejuvenating experience. It was a chance to celebrate the season in an unconventional manner, forging memories that will stay with us for years.

A few years later, my wife and I joined our daughter and her family in Australia at Christmas. That was also a unique and delightful but not tranquil experience.  My daughter’s home is a central hub and friends drop in at any time without announcement. The days before Christmas were an attempt to decorate, and prepare the meal while people popped in for a talk, a drink, or a stay in the spa to cool down. 

It was also very hot, in the days leading up to Christmas we had gone shopping in a bigger town about 3 hours from my daughter’s place. The temperature where we went was in the high 40s Celsius,  and I made the mistake of doing too much in the sun. At one point I just about fainted but my daughter’s partner and my son took me to the nearest fast-food place, and I drank a lot of water. 

On Christmas Day the temperature only reached 41 degrees Celsius. We exchanged presents early in the morning as my grandson, like all children who expect Santa, woke up early. The Christmas meal was served at noon, and cooked on the Barbecue and all of her friends and neighbours were there. In the afternoon after the cleanup, we went down to the river and cooled off for a few hours and then went back to the house to continue the celebration. 

Both experiences were unique and wonderful times and if we could travel I would have another Christmas in a hot area. My next trip would be to be to Maui.

No comments:

Post a Comment