Thursday, December 21, 2023

Tech can help connect families at Xmas

 COVID changed the world, and one change it brought was the idea of virtual celebrations, such as Christmas. A few years ago, my brothers and I received a wonderful gift. We found we had a half-brother. I have talked about how we discovered each other, so I will not discuss it now. 

Before COVID, one of my nieces who understands technology and family asked if we could have a ZOOM Xmas Day gathering to meet our new brother and his family. She asked early enough and was able to convince all of us to gather. The only one who could not take part was my daughter in Australia. The time difference and the quality of her Internet prevented her from taking part.

On Christmas Day, my brothers and I host our own grown-up children and grandchildren for Christmas festivities and our meal. My niece had given us detailed instructions on how and when to set up the Zoom meeting, so at the pre-arranged time we met. 

It was great to see my brothers, their partners, and all the Nieces, nephews, and their children. My half-brother signed in and he brought along with his entire family, which was a very pleasant surprise. We met his sister, his children, their children, his nephews, and his nieces. 

It was a very interesting meeting, as everyone had to introduce themselves to their new family. I thought it was a magical time. In today’s interconnected world, families separated by distance can still enjoy meaningful Christmas celebrations through virtual gatherings, games, and activities. Because of that Christmas meeting, all of my brothers meet once a month over Zoom to connect, reconnect and keep up with what each of us is doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment