William Bridges, who wrote the definitive work on transitions, described three parts to any transition. The first and hardest is making an ending.
Most of us are
terrible at endings. We try to glide over them, pretend they are not happening,
or hold on so tightly that we never really let go. But without a clean ending, there
can be no real transition.
When I retired
from teaching, I started substitute teaching almost immediately. I told myself it
was extra money, a way to keep my hand in. But the truth was simpler: I was not
ready to let go of being a teacher. I was still identifying with the role, still
defining myself by what I did. I had not made an ending.
It took me three
years to realize that I would never fully arrive at what was next as long as I was
clinging to what was. So, I revoked my teaching licence. It was a symbolic act, but
it was also a real one. I was saying, "I am no longer a teacher. I am open
to whatever comes next."
That is the work
of making an ending. It is not just about leaving a job or a relationship. It is
about letting go of the identity that went with it. It is about grieving what you
are losing. It is about giving yourself permission to not know who you are yet.
For seniors,
the endings can feel relentless. We retire from work. We lose friends and family.
We give up our driver's licence. We move from a home we have lived in for decades
to something smaller. Each of these losses asks us to let go of a part of who we have been.
And that is hard.
It is okay to grieve. It is okay to feel sad, angry, confused. Those feelings are
not signs of weakness. They are signs that you are doing the work of transition.
If you are struggling
to make an ending, try this: find a symbolic way to mark the change. Write a letter
to your old self. Plant a tree to honour a memory. Create a small ceremony to acknowledge
what you are leaving behind.
The act of marking an ending is not about forgetting. It is about giving yourself permission to move on. What ending are you avoiding? What would it feel like to let it go, fully and completely?
No comments:
Post a Comment