Thursday, August 19, 2010

Happy Birthday to my daughter

As you celebrate another birthday,  (you get to celebrate for two days, one for the Canadian Date and one for the Australian Date, lucky you)I just want to reaffirm my love for you and the pride I have because you are who you are. You come from a long line of strong, determined women, both on your mom's side and my side of your family. Your great, great, great grandmother on your mom's side left her home in Newfoundland to follow the man she loved to BC--he left because he was opposed to the killing of the baby seals. Her travelling to BC, in the early 1900's was a brave act for anyone. Your grandmother on your mom's side was a leader in her union and fought hard for women's rights, in a time when few would stand up for health and safety of woodworkers, she was one of the leaders to make the woods safe. (I hope that you get a chance to spend more time with her and hear her story).

On my side my grandmother on both my dads side and my moms side left the safety of their  homes and travelled to start new lives in a new country and from all accounts were strong, determined, feisty women who stood up for themselves and challenged conventional thinking about the roles of women in their society.

When you were born, I was so proud and filled with love, as I watched you grow from my baby girl through to the woman you are today. My love and admiration for you is still strong. I am proud of you and the life that you have chosen and made for yourself. You are doing all of the women in your family who have come before you proud.

You are a determined, creative, bright, fun loving, smart, beautiful, courageous, strong, and caring woman and I am proud to call you my little girl. So celebrate your day and enjoy the love that you have with Adam and your friends and remember I am here for you . So hear my voice in the following as I sing to you on this your birthday:

Happy birthday to you,
Happy birthday to you
Happy birthday  dear Danielle
Happy birthday to you

No comments:

Post a Comment