Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Cataracts

When I went to have my eyes checked the optomitrist told me I should have my eyes checked as the vision in my left eye had changed dramatically over the last time I had been given glasses. He recommended that I get myself checked, so I made an appointment with my doctor and after a preliminary examination which showed nothing he arranged for an appointment with an Ophthalmologists who very quickly identified that  had a cataract in my left eye and another growing in my right eye. So I will be having surgery in a short time to correct the situation.  What interested me was the choices I was given. The Ophthalmologist said he had several doctors he could refer me to in Vancouver, Surrey, Coquitlam, or Abbotsford. The waitlist for Vancuver, Surrey and Coquitlam was over a year while the wait list for the Dr. in Abbotsford was about a month. I was surprised at this and asked why? The Ophthalmologist said he thought it was because people felt that the Dr. were better in Vancouver, so people were prepared to wait. I thought this was probably true, but I decided to take the risk and travel to Abbotsford rather than wait a year. I did check out the Dr. I will be seeing  on the website rateddoctors in BC and found that he had a higher rating than the doctors in Vancouver.

I am learning about the procedures and alternatives I have and I love the Internet because it allows me to have some sense of what will be happening for me in the medical system. I think it is important to have sound knowledge and to make sure one advocates for one's self in our medical system.

No comments:

Post a Comment