Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Are you being heard?


A short book that might be helpful to those wanting to get their point across is: "How to get your point across in 30 seconds or less".
Here are other things that could help working/diagnosing the 'issue':
  • Whether you 'bake' your ideas inside before they come out to the external world.
  • Observe your feelings/emotions when the thoughts come out and correlate those feelings to the outcome: people understood/did not understand.
  • If you do not 'bake' your thoughts inside, do you do better when you make a point in a one on one (or even in a small group you are comfort with) versus a larger group?
  • Whether your thoughts come in a linear way (easier to follow) or in leaps (some people might have difficulty following your reasoning).
  • Tape record yourself - in a meeting for example - and assess yourself
  • If there is a person you are comfortable with, ask: "I realized I said the same thing earlier but I felt people did not understand me. Did you understand what I said? Was there any missing link between the ideas I conveyed?".
  • Focus on the practical things than focus on diagnosing the issue, simply because of the satisfaction of 'seeing things working'.make it sensory", spell it out in sensory details.
  • Give the executive summary at the beginning and the end -- "I'm here to talk a deal on the XYZ....
  • Phrase it as an achievable action, I find this particularly works well with tradesmen.
  • Credit any interruption they give, with an "oh yeah... " like your listeners said something amazing and then turn the topic right back to what you're saying.
  • If they still don't hear then I use a bit of drama, an unexpected swear word or exasperation. Create a bit of social tension.

No comments:

Post a Comment