Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Snorkeling

Snorkeling is fun and I learned an interesting life lesson from this activity.

As I was swimming another swimmer who was quite excited said he had spotted  an octopus and asked if I would like to see it. I nodded and he showed me . I spent some time watching the octopus and the other beautiful fish in the area,  before moving on to another part of the reef.

About ten minutes later my wife, who had been swimming in the area was helping the other swimmer find the octopus called me over. She was about twenty feet from me and she had a large turtle swimming under her. I quickly swam over.to see the turtle swimming away. I followed it for a few minutes until he swam away too fast for me to keep up.

I missed the turtle, the other swimmer  missed the turtle. Snorkeling focuses your vision to what you can see  directly see in front of you.  If you want to see more you have to be flexible and  be open to looking around.  We can become so focused on what is in front of us that we miss the beauty that surrounds us. Every time I snorkeled I found it took me some time to adjust my vision to see the wonders of what was before me. Slowly the beautiful vista opened for me, but only when I opened my mind did I begin to see the variety of fish and corral before me. I found that over the summer I had, because of the hip and the  pain of recovering from knee surgery, I had become focused on my pain rather than appreciating the wonders, and beautiful things life has to offer. Snorkeling allowed me to regain my focus and to remember life is a joy and I just have to stay focused on the beauty not the pain of life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment