Friday, December 4, 2015

Forgiveness

We are moving into a special time of the year for many, a time for renewal and a time for family, and a time for some of religious significance.  

So lets talk about the the concept of forgiveness and letting go of the past.  As we start to deal with a new reality of life with aneurysms, part of what I have decided is that it is important to let go of past slights and issues that are negative and to look for the good or look to lessons to be learned, rather than hold on to the hurt.

It is not easy to let go of the past and forgive, in my own family, I was not given the opportunity to know my grandmother because my mother and my grandfather could not let go of the past. 


To my mothers credit, she was able to let go of the past just a few years before her mother passed.  So I learned that until we're able to let go of the past, we condemn ourselves to living negative events over and over again, which is what my mother did.


She  choose to replay the wrongs her mother did over and over in her head and rather than letting go and forgiving her mother. She held on to the pain for too many years and denied her children the opportunity to know their grandmother. 


So please do not dwell on the wrongs you think people did to you in the past. The use of the word dwell acknowledges that the past holds lessons for us. What we need to do, however, is to hang on to the lessons and let go of the circumstances that brought them to us. 


As you let go of the past, and forgive, you allow yourself the opportunity to move forward. Forgiveness is not about the other person, it is about finding inner peace for yourself.


No comments:

Post a Comment